Friday, March 23, 2012

Hey folks, it's been a while

What's up everyone, sorry it's been awhile since I blogged!

To be honest, not that much has happened since I last wrote, hence my lack of posts, but, I'll recap for you anyways!

Today is the first day of the next cruise for us, we finished the bottom end of the circumnavigation cruise. It was certainly an interesting one!

In Adelaide I went with Brian, Nick and Emma to a Wildlife park where we pet and fed kangaroos and emus and saw Koala bears and a few other animals. It was so cute, Kangaroos are SO soft!!! I also bought a gorgeous Opal ring for myself in honor of my promotion. Don't judge me! It's pretty simple, just a sterling silver band and an oval shaped semi-black opal in the center, but it's a good-sized gem. Even though it's called "semi-black" it's kind of a white-green color, but the fact that it's "semi-black" puts it in the higher quality of Opals, apparently. Did you know that 90% of the world's Opals come from Australia? I had no idea.

In Hobart a few days later, Brian and I borrowed bikes from the ship (we can get them through our HR center) and rode around, got some wifi and lunch and then went back to the ship. I hadn't been on a real bike in Lord knows how long! It was really nice, except when Brian kept trying to get me to go uphill and that just didn't work out, also we had to be on the streets instead of the sidewalks and biking on the left side of the road what quite an experience. Brian said to me at one point "Are the turning hand signals the same here??" and all I could do was shrug and say "Your guess is as good as mine!"

Once we left Australia we crossed the Tasman sea to New Zealand and we had the second rockiest seas we've ever had, second only to those we had around New Year's. We were scheduled to have our production show on the first of these sea days but we postponed it until 3 days later because the seas were just that rocky! I didn't get seasick but I did take some tablets because I was getting a mild headache from the moving.

The New Zealand ports were the same as usual, I bought a small carry-on sized bag in Dunedin and filled it with the souvenirs and gifts that I have for everyone. It's pretty full, but, I'll feel safer having it with me in the plane than leaving it to possibly get lost in my big duffel bag. In Wellington I talked to many of you online, and finally bought a paper copy of the book "The Hunger Games" which I have heard rave reviews about from a lot of you. I read it in 2 days, so, you were all right!!! I need to find books 2 and 3, apparently someone saw book 2 in the "Crew Library" so I think I'll look there later today when I'm back on the ship.

Yesterday we had some really strong winds at sea that crept up on us and made the whole ship vibrate all day as if we were in an airplane with turbulence. I was laying in my bed so I didn't really notice but at one point the ship listed about 3 degrees to the Port side (I think) and one of the cast members was in the Salon and he said that a whole bunch of products came crashing down to the floor. A few minutes after that the Captain came on over the PA system and explained that we had a sudden gust of wind that nobody saw coming which tossed the ship to one side and that they were doing everything they could to turn the ship so that that wouldn't happen again. He explained that the gusts outside were around 80 knots/113mph/190kph and apologized for any worries or damages that were done by the unexpected lurch. "The wind came up like a car out of the sack" he said, in his thick Norwegian accent. That was the funniest part about it, not gonna lie!

This morning we arrived in Sydney again and I got off with some of the cast members to see the movie version of "The Hunger Games" which recently came out. It didn't disappoint! Now I'm sitting in a cafe just finishing my lunch and enjoying the beautiful weather. I have to work at 3pm on Wheelchair duty and then tonight for the show, after that my team and I are going to one of the specialty restaurants and then we'll set for the production show tomorrow! We've got a 12 day cruise ahead of us, then we'll be in Sydney again on the 5th and then the 18 day cruise to Honolulu via Auckland (New Zealand) and French Polynesia and then I will be home!!!!! If only I could make time go faster :)

Love you all and counting down the days (in case you hadn't noticed)
xoxoxox
B

No comments:

Post a Comment